Header Ads

Header ADS

Sick and solo: a qualitative study on the life experiences of people living with HIV in Somalia

Background: 
HIV stigma and the resultant fear of being identified as HIV-positive can compromise the effectiveness of HIV programs by undermining early diagnosis and antiretroviral treatment initiation and adherence of people living with HIV (PLHIV). In the wake of the longstanding conflict in the country, little is known about the life experiences of PLHIV in Somalia.

Methods:
 A qualitative study using unstructured interviews was conducted in Somalia from September to December 2017. A convenience sampling approach was used to recruit 13 participants, including 10 persons who live with HIV and three senior officials who work for the HIV program at the Ministry of Health. Data were analyzed using a thematic analysis. 

Results:

 Our findings show that PLHIV are alienated and prefer to isolate themselves due to widespread stigma subjected to them by their family members, society, employers, and health providers, which continue to undermine the scale-up of testing and treatment of PLHIV in Somalia. Consequently, they are reluctant to seek voluntary diagnosis and treatment of HIV. They often come to know about their status when their partners are found HIV positive, they are tested for other clinical purposes, or when an individual’s health deteriorates, and all other means fail to work in improving his/her situation. 
The study also pointed out a shortage of facilities that provide HIV diagnosis, counseling and treatment in Somalia. 


Conclusion: 
Addressing stigma and discrimination subjected to PLHIV are critical to a successful HIV response in Somalia. To successfully address stigma, HIV programs need evidence on effective interventions at individual, community, and societal levels in order to strategically incorporate stigma and discrimination reduction into national HIV programs.

Source

2 comments:

  1. BE AWARE TO AVOID  BEEN  SCAM AND TO CHOOSE A RIGHT DOCTOR FOR A REAL CURE ON HERPES AND HIV/AIDS VIRUS AND OTHER ILLNESS.I was scam several time not until I meant DR JAMES who cured me completely  sometimes we just need to give a try on herbal Medicine to see for our self. I am very happy today that i do not listen to what people say if not i would have been dead by now. I was infected with HERPES AND HIV/AIDS VIRUS in 2014, I went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was on the river side thinking where I could go to get a solution. so a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and I opened up to her telling her my problems, she told me that she can help me out, she introduced me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure illnesses and diseases and gave me his email, so i mailed him. He told me all the things I needed to do and sent me the herbal medicine through courier service and also gave me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what was happening after 2 weeks plus the HERPES SIMPLEX AND HIV VIRUS that was in my body got vanished and blisters dried off . I went to the hospital for a test and it was negative. This man is real and he is the solution to herpes virus. And other dangerous viruses so if you are also heart broken and also need help, you can also email him  [drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com]  DR James  can also cure ANY INFERTILITY PROBLEMS, ALS,CANCER, COLD SORE,DIABETES AND many others. And I promise after contacting Him  everything will be fine . Here's also my email address (nathalialuca245@gmail.com) should you want to hear from me, Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is  my testimony on how I was cured of HIV by Dr Akhigbe,with his natural herbal medicine.  on a regular basis in efforts to help others when I could. As you may know, each donation is tested.  Well, on July 6th I had a meeting with a Red Cross representative and was told that I had HIV. “What went through your mind when you heard that "Rose" Good question reader! To be honest, I thought my life was over, that I would ever find love, get married, have children or anything normal. Lucky for me I have an amazing support system.  My family supported me then I never thought that I was invincible to STD s or pregnancy or anything else parents warn their kids about. I just didn’t think about it. I was in a monogamous relationship and thought that I asked the right questions.  We even talked about marriage Scary.  During that time I was in college and donated blood on a re as well. who helped me in search of cure through the media.there we saw a good testimony of sister 'Kate' about the good work of Dr Akhigbe natural herbal medicine cure.then I copied his email address and contacted him. A good herbalist doctor with a good heart, he is kind, loving and caring. He replied back to my message and told me what to do. After a week the doctor sent me my herbal medicine and instructed me how to take it.Yes it worked very well, after drinking it I went to the hospital for another test and everything turned negative. What a wonderful testimony I can never forget in my life. Dr Akhigbe is a man who gave me a life to live happily forever so all I want you all to believe and know that cure of HIV is real and herbs is a powerful medicine and it works and heals.  Dr Akhigbe also used his herbal medicine to cure diseases like:   HERPES, DIABETES, SCABIES, HEPATITIS A/B, STROKE, CANCER, ALS, TUBERCULOSIS, ASTHMA, PENIS ENLARGEMENT, MALARIA, LUPUS, LIVER CIRRHOSIS, DEPRESSION, HIV/AIDS, EPILEPSY, BACTERIAL, DIARRHEA, HEART DISEASES, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, PARKINSON'S, ALZHEIMER, COLD URTICARIA, HUMAN PAPILLOMAVIRUS,INSOMNIA,  BACTERIAL VAGINOSIS, SCHIZOPHRENIA, JOINT PAIN, STOMACH PAIN, CHROME DISEASES, CHLAMYDIA, INSOMNIA HEARTBURN, ,  THYROID, MAR BURG DISEASES, MENINGITIS, ARTHRITIS, BODY WEAK, SMALLPOX, DENGUE, FEVER, CURBS, CHANCRE, AND OTHERS VARIOUS DISEASES/ VIRUS.   You are there and you find yourself in any of these situations, kindly contact Dr Akhigbe now to help you get rid of it. Here is his email address:
       drrealakhigbe@gmail.com      or you can write to him on whats app with his phone number:   +2349010754824.
      My appreciation is to share his testimony for the world to know the good work Dr Akhigbe has done for me and he will do the same for you.
       

    ReplyDelete

UNICEF is seeking USD7 million to combat severe malnutrition in Somalia

  MOGADISHU: The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) has requested USD7 million by the end of March to help 1.4 million Somali child...

Powered by Blogger.